Wrong House is the extension to a semi-detached Victorian townhouse within the Victoria Park Conservation Area in East London. The proportions, materials and detailing of the project are developed to form an appropriate setting for Edward Charles Hakewill’s Grade II Gothic revival church, St John of Jerusalem (1848) which lies immediately to the West.
The project provides a workshop and ensuite bedroom within a wedge shaped volume derived from the unusual geometry of the site. The new facade is set back from the street and follows the curve of Lauriston Road. This creates a subservient relationship with the original house, while at the same time establishing an independent identity within the wider context.